12 questions to ask at parent's evening to secure exam success for your child
It's that time of year after mock exams where a lot of parents are invited to a parent's evening. Too often this time is not taken full advantage of - finding out how your child is doing but not being given the story in the full context.
You have an opportunity to make a huge difference to your child by asking the right questions - ensuring their best chance of exam success this year.
Here are some suggested questions from us at MarkIt which you can ask each teacher to help you plan for the rest of the year!
- What is their current predicted grade?
- What is that grade based on? If they took the exam now, if they carried on as they have been working or if they stepped up their revision?
- How are they doing compared with the rest of the class?
- Are they on track or playing catch up?
- If they are struggling in your subject, is it due to difficulty in understanding or difficulty in concentrating?
- Is there anything else I should be doing outside of school to help?
- Which specific topics does my child struggle with and are there particularly useful resources for that content I can get hold of for them?
- When are you due to finish the full syllabus in class?
- How much of the rest of the year is new material verses revision? If mainly revision, how would you structure it?
- What is the best revision activity for your subject that you'd recommend?
- If my child is struggling with their revision, how is best to ask you for help?
- How can my child measure improvement in your subject as they revise?
There are a lot of questions here and in the usual 5 minutes with each teacher, you won't have time to ask everything. My suggestion is to pick the three questions most relevant to each teacher and subject and make sure you get answers to those.
After the parent's evening, you'll find you have all the information you need to secure exam success for your child this year!
If your child is struggling with Maths or Physics A Level, do get in touch, we can point you to our intuitive online programmes to improve their understanding and grades quickly: email@example.com